Are you about to move into a new house? You have a lot of things to do. Local movers Sacramento https://got2move.com/local/sacramento/ will help you with packing, loading, and transportation, but that’s only some of the tasks. You’ll have to prepare the house for full-time living, remove dirt, check the technical condition of communications, and replace some small consumables.
Things to Do Before Buying and Moving Into a New House
This is a list of the main tasks that should be completed before moving into a new home.
Clean the House
Usually, even in a clean house, there is still some animal hair, allergens, etc. And there are also odors, especially in the kitchen and from upholstered furniture. You will definitely want to get rid of them. Here are the things to do before moving into a new house:
- Dust the walls and floors and clean them with a suitable detergent (with bleach and disinfectant if necessary).
- Wash the covers on upholstered furniture to remove wool, hair, and sweat.
- Dust off the ceiling lights.
- Clean the refrigerator condenser coils. They accumulate a lot of dust and cobwebs, which can be a source of allergens. Wipe down the shelves with a vinegar solution to get rid of odors.
- Clean the oven of any remaining grease. It smells unpleasant during cooking.
- Run several high-temperature cycles in the dishwasher and washing machine. Use the self-cleaning mode. Wet, warm places are great for bacteria to grow, so be sure to clean them.
- Disinfect the bathtub, sink, and toilet. If possible, replace the toilet seat.
Cleaning is best done before your belongings are delivered to your new home.
Change the Locks
You don’t know if the previous owners gave you all the keys. Maybe, their friends or relatives have copies of the keys, just in case. Change all the locks and sleep peacefully.
Replace All Filters
One of the best things to do before moving into a new house is to replace all possible filters.
You can start with the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. Old filters accumulate bacteria and particles of dirt that fly around when the devices work.
Do not forget about water filters. Check if you have a separate drinking water filter and be sure to change it, so you don’t drink water that could be contaminated with bacteria.
Check All Detectors
A checklist of things to do before moving into a new house should include checking the following detectors:
Be sure to replace the batteries in them.
Learn All Technical Places
Here are the technical places you should find, check, and learn how to maintain:
- Main water shutoff valve. It is usually placed in the house before and after the water meter. The meter is most often located in the basement, on the exterior wall, or in an underground box.
- Electrical panel. Most typically, it is located in the garage, basement, or utility room. Learn how to turn off the voltage in the entire house and on an individual circuit.
- Sump pump. First, take care of the backup system for breakdowns and power outages. Second, check the metal parts of the pump for rust. Thirdly, after a long dry season, pour a couple of buckets of water into the sump to make sure the pump is in good working order.
You will definitely have a long list of things to do and buy before moving into a new house.
This guide was prepared from moving company Sunnyvale, CA, https://got2move.com/local/san-francisco-bay-area/sunnyvale/ which will help you make a detailed plan for preparing your new home for the move.