A lot has been said about the importance of effective database administration. However, what you are not told about this part of your business is how hard it is. The compromise is in hiring remote database administration where you get the services you need and enjoy even more benefits.
Remote DBA Simplified
There is hardly a modern business without relational databases. With every interaction, they keep increasing in size. Remote administration services help to save you administration costs while offering fringe benefits.
These benefits include more enhanced database security, 24/7 monitoring, backup assurance and recovery, database upgrades, emergency support, performance tuning, data analytics, reports, repair among many other services.
Getting the Most out of Remote Database Administration
For you to enjoy all these benefits, it is crucial to know how to go about the process. Some of the processes to follow include:
- Determining whether you need remote database administration support: You will have to take a frank assessment of your database to determine whether your in-house team can cope. This involves evaluating risks and cost benefits.
- Research on need for external DBA: Your business needs to use empirical methods in coming up with a decision. You need to look at your readiness, business objectives, expected expenses vs. feasible ROI. You can use tools such as questionnaires and interviews to get this data.
- Selection of a remote database administrator: This is a crucial stage and you must pick based on skills, expertise and experience. The team to handle your website must have carried out such projects successfully. Reading testimonials and looking at its DBA work is crucial at this stage. A good reputation in the industry and availability of resources also stand a DBA team in good stead.
- Preparing for implementation: This is another crucial stage, which if not well handled can muddle waters. A working relationship has to be established based on mutual respect. SLAs have to be agreed and goals and objectives of your business well delineated. Formulation of a communication plan is necessary to ensure things run smoothly in future.
- Engagement: At this stage, both teams will be working. You will be looking at the results from the remote administrator while its team will be carrying out its administration task. There must be visible performance from the range of services agreed earlier and if not, you have a right to seeks answers. This is the actual DBA at this point and communication must be frequent.
- Evaluation process: At this time, you take stock of the project as a contract winds down. A DBA must have an exit strategy but that is only after you have evaluated their performance. If you had wanted enhanced security or better response time, check reports provided to see if you achieved your objective.
For an important activity such as DBA, you should not leave it to chance. You must fully assess the reputation of the remote database administrator to authenticate its claims. If you find any complaints, continue searching.
Whatever you decide, never rush in the process of selecting a remote administrator to work with. You have invested a lot on your business website so, let only the best work on it.